As the ups and downs of the economy continues, so does the stress on couples considering separation after long term marriage and facing retirement.
Couples now have to deal with financial issues that are unique at this stage of their lives.
- How to pay the bills if both of you are retired ?
- How to cope with the primary bread winner working less, or not at all?
- What if your spouse is spending more time at home?
- How to accept a change in who is the primary earner in the marriage? (Wives making more than husbands is a fast growing trend because more men are being laid off than women).
- How do you deal with downsizing to a new home?
- How to handle the added tension when grown children move back into the home due to their being laid off or not finding a job?
Dealing with these financial realities in an adversarial process doesn’t help anyone in the long run, especially at this time of your life. Working in a mediation or collaborative setting can help create customized solutions that may ease these financial realities and help everyone transition to a secure future.